Sunday, February 3, 2013

I Ran Out Of Witty Post Titles...

So what have I been up to over the past week?
Well as next week is the last week of the Winter semester it's exam season in Konstanz. The library is full, the University is a buzzing hive of activity and I've found myself in the pub 4 out of the last 5 days.... and I wonder why I haven't ever been offered student of the year.

Now I do actually have a reason for neglecting my academic life (Not that I wouldn't have neglected it anyway, it's just nice to have a reason) and no, it's not a budding alcohol problem. I had a visitor! The lovely Miss Rachel Hanly traveled all the way from Cork just to visit little ole me. I was incredibly excited for 2 reasons:
1. I hadn't seen her in a month and couldn't wait to see her.
2. I got to prove to everyone here that I actually do have friends at home and am not in fact on temporary release from some type of institution.

It's odd showing someone around Konstanz. It's a little like seeing it again for the first time. Walking down by the lake with the sun glinting on the water and the Alps clearly visible in the background (yes I forgot my camera.) makes me realize that I take the beauty of this place for granted or worse ignore it completely in favor of cute animals on the internet.

So you're in Germany for the first time. You're looking forward to experiencing all the cultural delights this new land has to offer. What do you do? Well when the person you're visiting is me you spend the entirety of Saturday in an Irish pub watching rugby. Sorry Rachey, but rugby is bigger than both of us. I had no choice!
I'm going to attempt to describe yesterday with the help of my trusty bulletpoints.
  • Rugby can be enjoyed even if you have no idea whats going on.
  • The more people you cram around a small T.V the better the banter you will have.
  • You will eat ALOT during the course of 2 matches.
  • If you meet a former All Ireland GAA finalist in a pub they will be able to tell you where you're from within 12 miles.
  • If there's a question of whose fans are louder, Rugby and Bundesliga, rugby wins. Hands down.
As to the result? Well out of respect for my Welsh counterparts I won't focus on that....all I will say is Éire Abú and roll on next week.


1 comment: